Back to Part
Interview with Don Farlow-Professional Electronic
Repairer From Florida USA
- How are you Don?
- I am fine. Thank sir very much.
- How’s life as an
- It is my preference.
- How long have you been in
the Electronic Repair line?
- I have 20 years experience as a repair
- What are the Electronic
Equipment that you can repair?
- I can repair Home stereos, telephone equipment, video game
consoles, professional audio equipment, computers, wireless
communication equipment, more.
- Do you learn the repair on
your own or from a Guru/courses/forum/books and
- Somewhat all the above.
- What is your education
- High school diploma, two (2) years vocational school, two (2)
years community college.
- How much time do you spend
on equipment before you give up? Why do you give
– Sometimes hours, sometimes days. I don't like to give up on
personal matters. In business you have to draw evaluations. But if
the customer is willing and the unit is coming back to life I will
put what time it takes to make the satisfaction on both
- What’s your favourite test
equipment and why do you like it?
- Tektronics 210
Oscilloscope and up. I like the unit’s high
frequency reading, hfe capability, internal storage, and computer
transfer cable hook-up.
- Which electronic repair
website you frequently visited and why do you like
- I mostly upgrade, work-on, and repair computers and such. I'm not
much of a webber.
- What was the last
electronic book and magazine you read?
- Do you do your own R &
D to find a better solution in electronic repair, for example like
coming out with your own way of solving a particular circuit
- Generally on average how
many types of electronic equipment you can repair in a
- Depends on how many phone calls I deal with during the day, how
customers, how many pick-ups, and what
types of equipment. Some days 1, some days 3
some days 5.
- Do you meet regularly with
other electronic repairers to discuss about electronic problems and
- Just Steve and a friend of mine name Gary Morris. I used to work
with him at Protel
- What are the biggest
problems you are facing in the Electronic repair line
availability in the game console
- Have you come across any
electronic equipment that you can’t repair? And how do you plan to
- I don't mess with Television too much mostly because of bulk.
Pain in the butt. But I think Steve plans on changing
- What advice would you give
to a beginner who wish to join this trade?
- Go to school, pay
attention, dive into all of it, and don't be afraid to work on any
- What is your future plan
for your electronic repair career?
- Stick with Steve for 20 or so years.
- Thank you sir, Mr. Yong, for your time and energy. I appreciate
the opportunity to be a part of this. Again, thank you
PS. If you would like me to interview you, just
drop me an email and I’ll arrange it from there. It is not
necessary that you must be the owner of a company, as long as
you are dealing with electronics
(electronic repairers, suppliers, dealers and etc) we can proceed
with the interview!